Friday, January 8, 2016

when you're underwater, you shouldn't breathe.

Do you ever forget to breathe?
I do.
I forgot to breathe when you looked at me.
I forgot to breathe on that last pushup before the date.
I forgot to breathe when I took that test
I forgot to breathe before singing that high note
I forgot to breathe when he leaned closer
I forgot to breathe before looking in the mirror
I forgot to breathe as I jumped into the water
I forgot to breathe when you told me your secret
I forgot to breathe when I choked on my tears
I forgot to breathe when I read that text in the middle of the night
And I couldn't figure out how to breathe again for a long time.
I forgot to breathe at school the day after.
I forgot to breathe when they read the letter.
I forgot to breathe when they talked about how something had to be done
When an illness every bit as real as lung cancer
makes people wish they could forget to breathe
and somehow it's the community's fault...
I forget to breathe every time I see my phone light up my dark bedroom
I forget to breathe when I hear others tell me secrets
just like yours
I forget to breathe when I think about you.
And I wish...
I wish you were still breathing.

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing. Thanks for your blog and the dedication you have put into it. I have loved it.

    ReplyDelete