Monday, October 19, 2015

Hey, um, can someone teach me how to feel? My heart must have gone on vacation or something.

My body aches
my chest heaves but no sound, no soul can escape my lips
they're clamped too tightly together
in fear that even one crack left exposed
would leak a noxious, deadly substance; fatal grief and remorse
poisoning every living, happy thing in a ten mile radius.
My eyes blankly stare
as I try to feel,
plead my body for some response
but everything seems shut down
the shutters are closed, windows barred, lights off.
They ask how I am dealing with things.
Somehow the muscles of my face are so attuned to this farce
that they can pull into a hopeful smile on demand
only to drop like puppet strings cut halfway through the act
as soon as the interrogation is over and done.
My eyes betray me in the night
bone-dry in the only setting they're allowed to feel
the only time I allow myself to feel
I physically can't.
I'm too accustomed to acting, lying, smiling
unfeeling
numb
that when the only thing in the world I want to do
IS LAY IN MY BED AND SOB...
i can't.
the tears won't come anymore.
not until I'm surrounded by people,
buzzing with tedious life and work and drama and blah
at the worst possible moment
two small waterfalls begin.
You know I love waterfalls
but only in seclusion.
But it seems the time for convenient, satisfying, fulfilling waterfalls
is over.
just as the sun sets, 
just as a plane flies halfway around the world, 
just as dreams of waterfalls turn into dreams of taking the final leap,
just as dreams and hopes and chances and moments disappear all to quickly
waterfalls are for dreams
and tears will stay hidden
and hope will remain 
(but only if I can muster the strength for it).

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and raw.

    You should read "relentless teardrops" on my blog
    That's how I deal with it.
    That's all I have to offer.

    Keep going

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap. this is incredible.

    you can do this.
    i want to say, "things get better" but that's kind of clichè and not incredibly comforting, but they will. like adeline said, keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "hope will remain"
    This post hit me hard; very raw, very powerful.
    Keep fighting <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. IS LAY IN MY BED AND SOB...
    i can't.
    the tears won't come anymore.

    Such a powerful line. I want to hug you when I read this

    ReplyDelete