Thursday, December 17, 2015

I remember....

I remember when the scariest thing in the world was nightmares.
I remember when Christmas morning turned into Christmas afternoon as we waited for my brother to wake up.
I remember what it feels like to be liked by a boy. It was nice.
I remember when hurricane Katrina hit and my dad was sent to help with relief efforts. I didn't understand why he had to go.
I remember when I slept over at the gym with my team. It turned into an all-out war between me and the new girl over who was really wanted there. I lost.
I remember my first time behind the wheel of a car. I remember my first panic attack. I remember how those happened on the same day, at the same time.
I remember my first time on the top of a mountain. The crisp air breathed new life into my lungs and suddenly my life had meaning. Suddenly everything I struggled with was worth it.
I remember every time on top of a mountain, on top of the world, since then. I wish I had more time to spend up there.
I remember my friend wearing mascara to school for the first time. I don't know why it bothered me so much.
I remember seeing my crush walking out of the school and me walking in and me blushing and wanting to say so much more than 'hi'. I'm sorry I didn't.
I remember my eyes being blurry, the pinch of an IV in my arm, and my mom telling me the surgery went well.
I remember when I actually ate breakfast in the morning.
I remember every second of getting my ears pierced. But I'm fuzzy about the details of my baptism.
I remember telling my dad I needed to lose weight. I was six.
I remember wearing a neon monstrosity of a coat every day during the winter, years ago.
I remember the taste of homemade mac n cheese and trying not to laugh during the prayer.
Soon, all high school will be is a memory.
I hope I'll want to remember it.

1 comment: