Wednesday, September 16, 2015

#same

I wish I could say I was #different. But I'm freaking exactly the same as the majority. I do my work quietly just like everyone else. I smile too much and laugh too little and make mistakes and am too passive, just like everyone else. It's all the #different people I envy. They walk down the hall and turn heads. They color classrooms with their clever wit. They get in trouble. But no, I'm just like everyone else. I keep my nose clean and stay out of trouble, just like I'm expected to. If I was #different I would've gotten chosen to clap the chalk erasers in elementary school. If I was #different, I would get asked to homecoming. But no, I'm too #same to even come to your mind. If I was #different, my friend wouldn't have had to convince someone to ask me to prom last year. Some boy would have wanted to ask me on his own. If I was #different, you'd want to actually know me. ME. Not my pen name but the real me.

but I really am just Korra, it seems. Just too... monotone. Too background. Too #same. I seem insecure because I don't put myself out there. They always say 'be yourself', right? Well what if I am being myself. What if 'myself' is #same. What if I was just born to be the face that you skip in the crowd when you look for your friends at lunch. What if I don't even have the capacity to catch anyone's eye, to make them want to look at me, not just through me. What if I've tried to be #different but I'm so #same that even my wild attempts were ignored. What if no one will ever think I'm any #different than the next girl, than the next blog, than the next hopeless romantic, than the next hopeful BYU student. What if I'm so #same that I'm about as interesting as the quotes on the walls above the lockers.

Perhaps the way I'm #different is how extremely #same I am.


13 comments:

  1. "What if I was just born to be the face that you skip in the crowd when you look for your friends at lunch."
    I feel the #same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good. In a depressing way.

    Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

    You do you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful part about the lockers! i didn't even notice them till like half way through sophomore year. don't worry about being "just the next blog" cuz you're an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're kidding right? Maybe your not so outgoing and... Over the top as everyone else, but your blog has impact. Your name jumps out whenever I see it because remembered yours. You don't have to be #same. You don't have to be #different. You just have to be #you. You weren't put on this earth for any other reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #same

    I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately. I don't stand out. I never have. But that's #me. And I think maybe I'm okay with that... not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Miss Korra,
    From a dude's perspective, you do stand out. You're being honest. You're being real. You don't dress up the truth until it hardly looks like it anymore. And I will be asking you on a date as soon as the reveal list happens. That's a promise. And I don't promise things I don't mean.
    With love from, Aidan James Coral.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only imagine the person you are. Girls at our age very rarely comprehend concepts like this. You are way smarter than the average girl. I love your work

    ReplyDelete